08-09-2022, 03:44 PM   #47
Papa Popov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
The effect wore off for me as well. It's still slightly better than any other oil I have used, but it's not the slick shifting I noticed immediately after the changeover. It wasn't just changing out the oil that caused the improved shifting because I had already changed oil thrice and the oil I had in there was only 6 months old. I'm assuming this transmission once shifted smoothly with little effort because the 3-4-5-6 shifts are buttery smooth.
Glad I'm not the only one that struggles with the lower gears cause I've owned this car for almost 3 years now and it still constantly makes me question my ability to drive stick. Thing is as smooth as a train wreck if I don't baby the hell outta the shift into 2 and 3, and that's even after deleting the CDV, filling w/ MT-LV, and installing a Dinan SSK, ZHP knob, Rogue trans mounts, and a clutch stop.

I'm more inclined to think that our cars (at least the 128i) got the Getrag bargain bin special (which I'll gladly take over a slushbox any day) rather than the trans wearing over time cause I'm sure there'd have been some sort of recall or legal action taken if that were the case.

On a side note, I have found that giving 'er a few more beans in 1st leads to slightly smoother shifts. Used to almost always shift at 3k but noticed some improvement (or a placebo) when shifting out of first at around 3.5k instead.
Appreciate 1