View Single Post
      07-22-2023, 01:07 PM   #52
GoldenWest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F22 230i, ‘17 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
The effect wore off for me as well. It's still slightly better than any other oil I have used, but it's not the slick shifting I noticed immediately after the changeover. It wasn't just changing out the oil that caused the improved shifting because I had already changed oil thrice and the oil I had in there was only 6 months old. I'm assuming this transmission once shifted smoothly with little effort because the 3-4-5-6 shifts are buttery smooth.
Regarding the 1-2 shift “effort”, I believe the effect is mostly due low 1st gear ratios; not minor oil viscosity differences. It’s like my old 60’s-70’s Alfa Romeos; the low first gear was referred to as “a stump puller”.

I also see experiences here on shifting ease and viscosity experiences are from owners of both 4 cycl. and 6 cyl. manual cars, where those cars and transmissions have very different oil requirements.
Case in point, I’m curious if any tried or uses the DCTF in 6 cyl. cars, which is Redline’s recommendation for 6 cylinder turbo 1 and 2 series. It’s a higher viscosity than D4, and much higher than D6; the oil recommended for manual 4cyl. 1 and 2 series turbo cars.

I use Redline drivetrain oils exclusively in my F48 x1, and manual 2020 230i (actually a 1 series).
Over the years I’ve spoken with the very helpful and informative Redline tech advisor many times, including this past week to confirm use of MT-LV (70W/75W) for the X1 transfer case and rear diff. HOC (Hang On Clutch).

Having seen this thread I mentioned some using D4 and MT-LV in 1 and 2 series 4 and 6 cyl. turbo manuals, and that I’ve always used D6 in my 4 cyl. turbo manual 230i. He said D4 is heavier than the D6 recommended for 4 cyl. cars, which has the same viscosity as MT-LV, but each have different additives packages.

I used D4 in all previous BMW manuals going back to my E39 and E60 5 series, then went from D4 to D6 in a E90 3 series manual, which benefited smoother shifting.
All the above transmissions were Getrag units stickered MTF-LT3.
Appreciate 0