Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1andonly View Post
Lease is ending in fall on my 128 manual and Im looking at possible other options. one dealer had two 135i DCT with 4-6k off new price. I test drove, and while the engine power is smooth and strong, overall the drive was bleh, soft, tame, uninspiring. I swear I would mash petal to the floor and be able to fully count to 2 before the engine did anything. One time, the engine actually reved way up to 5-6 rpms AFTER I took foot off accelerator! My manual is quick, responsive and instantly on tap. Them having DCT and not manual was the deciding factor that made me pass on those otherwise excellent cars.

To each his own, but not for me.
If you drove the test car in full auto mode. You missed the whole point of a dual clutch. DCT rules! I row through all those gears every day in manual mode and rather enjoy no clutch. Up one, or blip down one, two or even three gears. DCT's are way faster for every day daily driving.

BTW... sport mode on the throttle response and S mode on the Auto DCT is just as fun.

Go test drive it again.
the only way to drive a DCT is with the paddles....if you're putting it in D.....it's not worth even discussing IMO

dual clutch gearboxes are fantastic in paddle/manual mode....still not as involving as a real manual gearbox IMO----but great nonetheless!
Appreciate 0