View Single Post
      08-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #105
Stvee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMsport View Post
I was kinda hoping to point the discussion in the technical direction by posting an idea overheard at a well-respected tuning shop. Does anybody have ideas on whether or not you lose boost when you engage the clutch?
You lose boost between gear changes, but it doesn't have anything to do with the clutch. You loose boost between gear changes because you take your foot off the throttle. This causes the throttle body to shut, which would cause pressure to build in the intake since the turbos are still spinning fast, except that the blow off valve recognizes this pressure change and releases all of the compressed air (boost).

There is such a thing as no-lift-to-shift that a lot of tunes provide on turbo'd cars. This allows you to keep the throttle wide open between shifts so that you don't lose boost in between gears.

Now back to the topic, the manual holds power better which is my main reason for liking it better. If I was going to keep the car stock, I might consider a DCT. But that kind of defeats the purpose of getting a highly tuneable car like these for me.
Appreciate 0