06-10-2018, 12:54 PM   #76
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I have been having Cayman lust recently and my local Carmax showed a 2018 Red with black interior manual cayman in stock. I went to look at it. It only had 3K miles. It looked great at first but the drivers side was in the shade and passenger side was in the setting sun side. As I walked around using my super micrometer eye (which is a curse because I see every imperfection) sure enough I noticed an ever so slight change in the orange peel on the driver's door and front left fender. I am positive 99% of the world wouldn't notice. So I start rocking back and forth to let the sun show me and I can begin to see that the clearcoat is not as smooth as the rest of the car. It also has a slight orange peel. So I squat down so that I am looking at inside the front wheel well and sure enough there is red overspray inside the wheel liner and as I look up from underneath, I can see the rubber window moulding has red paint underneath where it was masked off. So it wasn't even a professional paint job, they just masked it off and resprayed the panels.

What is more disturbing is that they were asking $56K for the car and it only had one option, 20" black wheels, which I think are dumb and ugly anyway, but a brand new cayman is about $55K with 18" wheels. I show the sales lady the overspray and peeling paint under the moulding and the different shades or red and clear coat and she says...oh yes, I can see it. Then she looks at me and says so you want to buy the car? I said, no sorry and she says but it has a clean Autocheck report, look. Also, our people do a 2 million point inspection! And our cars have no structural damage! I said, well that's nice but I don't know what sort of damage this was and it was not repaired correctly.

She then looks flustered and says to me: You realize that we sell used cars here a cosmetic blemishes are normal on used cars?

I just said, I'm sorry, a paint ship on the bumper is a cosmetic blemish, this is so much more. Thank you. She was very professional and corteous but wasn't understanding that this is more than a blemish for what is basically new car price on top.

So like all dealers, even CarMax, BEWARE!

If you are in the market for a Cayman in San Diego or SoCal, watch out for the 2018 Red Cayman!

Here is the link to it:
https://www.carmax.com/car/16070457

VIN: WP0AA2A88JK260525

I hope no one gets duped into this one. If they want to still buy it like this, that's fine as long as they know and understand that it has been poorly repainted but it is being being sold with a "clean" autocheck implying no damage. Again, If it was repainted correctly, that would also be a different thing but this was not repaired correctly for a car of this price IMHO.
I have a 2003 996 TT, that I bought out of LA last spring and drove back to Idaho. It has 77,000+ miles on it. Although the body and interior are in fine shape "for age and mileage," no one would mistake it for a new car. It's had a lot of very expensive mechanical work done on it the last 13,000 miles, which is a large part of the reason why I bought it, plus it was a reasonably good deal, for what it is/was. The couple of tiny door dings and numerous small pain imperfections are no issue for me; the car looks like what it is, it looks the part, it is a 16 year old car in great shape, but with the scars to prove it.

My ~60,000 mile 2000 Z3M Coupe is similarly a well-used car in great condition, for age and mileage.

I much prefer "used" vintage cars like these to something that purports to be an almost new car, but isn't.

Thanks for sharing!