10-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #10
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwillb View Post
I've got a 135i that had M-sport suspension but now I've converted to full front and rear 1M suspension (actual stock 1m shocks and springs), M3 sway bars front and rear, LSD, subframe, etc. I can tell you that you do not want to go to 135 spec. It's just too soft with excessive understeer. For street driving it's actually quite nice but a little bouncy. Also, the suspension bits were tuned with rock-hard run flat tires in mind.

My 1M spec 135 is fantastic!!

Sounds like the classic "grass is always greener" case but the 1M is still considered one of the best things to come out of Munich in a very long time.
I've previously owned a 135i w/m-sport, I wasn't saying that using 135i spec bars was something to do on a 1M; just using it for comparison as another suspension setup on the same chassis from BMW engineers. Looking at aftermarket offerings for the non-M e82, the max rear bar is 20mm. Unfortunately, most of these are built for E9x chassis and sold to E8x owners.

Looking at CarJunkie post on geometry and some other reading, I think 1M owners should "upgrade" to the E93 M3 front sway bar and leave rear bar alone. Logic being that the rear is slightly over-sprung from the factory, but increasing front roll stiffness offsets and shifts some grip to the rear. I will try to test while my suspension is still original.
Appreciate 0