View Single Post
      09-04-2018, 08:30 PM   #13
neepertech
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

So tonight I finally got ISTA+ up and running on my diagnostic computer and got it connected to the car. The DKG module is throwing NO FAULTS and idle temps at 104F which is what I assume is the higher range of idle. I say this because the Getreg unit has a sticker on the transmission that says only to fill between 86F-104F. I'm taking this as a good sign that nothing is broken and I just need to replace the pan/gasket to fix the leak and go through the refill procedure.

I did not run the car up 2k rpm in gear and check the temps like the above video shows. I figure I should make sure there is enough fluid to handle that first.

Half of me wants to just top the transmission off and make sure that it resolves the problem before I swap the pan and gaskets. The other half of me want's to go ahead with the drain/filters/gasket and fix the leak. If you want to weigh in with you opinions I'm all ears. At the end of the day $30 for a Litre of Pentosin Dctf-1 is a lot of money to throw away if I end up pitching it when I drain to fix the leaks. $500 is a lot of money if I have to "fix it the hard way" and I've gone down the wrong rabbit hole.

I'm still thinking I'd like to hear from someone who has done a filter replacement on the DCT before I commit to it.

For what it's worth I called my local dealer, BMW of DesMoines. I talked to a gal at the service desk who said the going rate for a pan/gasket and filter treatment is between $1000 and $1200. She was basing this off of what she has seen before but I did not get the impression that she was familiar with the differences between a regular torque converter auto, manual, and DCT. She was swamped and I didn't want to keep her from work. I'm guessing she is close due to the fact that 1: she's seen a lot more BMW repaired than I have and 2: parts/fluid alone push the $500

Links to sticker and parts cost. I'm not sure how many L of fluid this tranny takes. I keep reading and seeing different things
View post on imgur.com

Any BMW techs around here to set me on the right path?

Last edited by neepertech; 09-04-2018 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 0