View Single Post
      06-30-2019, 10:30 PM   #1
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Complete Differential Rebuild DIY

I want to eventually do a DIY guide on this, if I end up doing it, but I needed to ask some questions first:

My differential recently blew on my 128i. It was a 3.73:1 diff from an auto car, with an MFactory 1.5-way LSD swapped for the open diff center section. The ring gear bolts backed-off and completely ruined the diff's internals (thankfully the LSD looks untouched). A window was blown open in the back cover and oil evacuated the diff while driving at 70mph. The bearings were destroyed from lack of lubrication while it was limped home 2 miles, and the ring gear teeth contacted bolts, and the gear action is extremely rough.

My intentions are to buy another auto diff ($100 or so) and rebuild it to like-new condition internally (mostly replacing bearings). Has anyone rebuilt a differential here? Was there a certain kit you used? Is it a job someone with good technical knowledge and know-how can do in a home garage? I built the LSD myself, but elected to not replace the bearings (something about biting-off more than I could chew), and now I'd like to, at a minimum, replace the main side bearings, and I'd also like to replace the pinion bearings if it isn't too complex of a job.

Any help/input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris