Thread: New 1M Owner
View Single Post
      03-09-2017, 08:21 PM   #1
StreetCredShifter
Rep
Drives: N/A

New 1M Owner

I just recently got a 1M, and I want to offer my first impressions.

First a little background, I am a long time BMW guy who has owned a E39 530i (auto), E39 M5 (6MT), F10 535i (auto), F30 340i (6MT), and two F80 M3s (one M DCT and one 6MT). I moved away from the brand and owned only Porsches for a while. I missed the BMW brand and bought a used 2013 BMW 135is (6MT), which I really enjoyed but eventually used as a trade-in. That got me back into the BMW camp again, and I recently bought a used E46 M3 (6MT), which has brought back the fun of M cars for me. Yes, I have gone through a lot of cars.

After reading this forum, watching YouTube videos, and hearing about how great the 1M is from a friend who owns one, I really wanted one. Most posts, videos, and conversations emphasized how great the car is drive and feels special as well as its ability to hold value due to its relative scarcity and potential to increase in value. I was a little skeptical because I am one of those guys who believes a M car is more than just a chasis, but also needsa M engine that starts with the letter S. I always agreed that the car will hold value relatively well due to the positive reviews and scarcity. However I was skeptical that car will increase in value because I was not convinced that the car has a great story other than scarcity.

I had the opportunity to buy one, so I did. I took it out for the weekend as well as my E46 M3 for comparison. Here are my first impressions and they may change, but I find that they usually do not for me.

The E46 M3 is much better and feels more special to me. It has timeless exterior looks. It is just the right size both outside and inside. My car is 100% stock and once I get the revs well above 3500 RPM, the sound from the engine and exhaust is glorious all the way to redline. The handling in the car is superb. The car still feels fast and special even though it is a 12 year old car. It is truly the definition of what a M car should be; a great naturally aspirated inline 6 M engine (S54), a proper 6MT in the middle, and power going to the rear wheels. The hydraulic steering just feels great and gives great feedback. Everything feels analog and depends on me. It had the classic four gauges with the classic BMW M yellow lighting at night. Very little nannies in the way and no hill assist, pumped in sounds, etc. And the response from pushing in the Sport button makes the car get up and go.

Then I drove the 1M. Immediately, I feel like I am driving a SUV since the E46 M3 drives low and the seat on the 1M feels high, which was a similar feeling to the 135is. After a while I get used to the feeling and enjoy the drive. I went four years driving BMWs and Porsches with electric steering, so, when I got my 135is, I forgot how great hydraulic steering is. I heard great things about the steering in the 1M, so I was expected something special. It is good, but I do not think is any better than my E46 M3, which I think is better. I made sure to use the M button, but it did not feel as responsive as the Sport button in the E46 M3. Where it does outshine my E46 M3 is the the shifter. The E46 M3 has the classic gooseneck shifter with the long throws. The throws in the 1M are perfect. However, the car is not the fun high revving car like the E46 M3. The engine and exhaust are relatively silent and do not feel special at all. The exhaust on the 135is was much better. I guess a tuned N54 engine, even if done by BMW M, is not as great a true S designation engine. I am in the naturally aspirated camp over the turbo camp,but I still felt the S55 in the F80 M3 was special I do not think the car handles as well as the E46 M3. I am relatively disappointed. I tried driving it again last night, and it drove great and was fun, but then I took the E46 M3 out for a spin, and my initial impressions came back. I know it was the first initial drives of the car, and Spring, Summer, and Fall are still not here, but I hope this car grows on me and I come to enjoy it. It is more fun than the F80 M3 because smaller cars are usually more fun.

Did anybody else have this initial first impression and the car grew on them? I plan on holding it. I guess the the relative scarcity will mean I will not get hurt too bad if I ever sell it. I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade; I am just giving my story.

I also do not understand why people will think this car will double in value. Outside of scarcity, which I believe makes it hold value, what is the story for it doubling? I do not think it is in the same class as the E24 M6 and E28 M5, which at least for Euro spec, have their engines derived from the first M car, the M1. The E30 M3 is associated with actual motorsports such as DTM racing and rally cars. When I think of them, I picture Warsteiner and Bastos liveries as well as the S14 engine and its great handling. BMW M was at its best when it developed the engine for the McLaren F1, which won Le Mans in 1995. And the work from that development found its way into the development of the E39 M5 (S62) and E46 M3 (S54) engines. Both of those cars have timeless exteriors and the subtle looks of a BMW M car. as opposed to the in-your-face aggressiveness of today's M car. I know these cars are mass produced, but can anyone convince me that a tuned N54 engine is in the same league as these great M cars? It seems like what makes the 1M a great car to drive are the parts it borrows from the E9X M3. Is that a story for it to double in value? I doubt it.
Appreciate 1
GimmeanM1448.50