12-11-2016, 11:42 AM   #16
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
I guess we should post that on M2 forum so they can hate us even more.
Nah, they love their M2 as much as we love ours.

These cars are very close as they said in the video and it really comes down to a few minor things and individual preference. As my dad used to say the best wine in the world is the one that YOU like.

For example, I agree with the two guys in the video that the M2 overall looks amazing and probably better stylistically than the 1M. It also sounds better stock and is quicker and easier to drive. But in order to get that, you make some sacrifices. Less steering feedback, comfort button, fake sound, heavier power seats (although it looks like BMW supplied them the M2 which most press cars had manual seats even though not offered to us), ugly interior for my taste, rev-matching that can't be turned off without disabling traction control, busy gadgety small instruments with oil temp gauge delete, squishier gearbox in MT, ubiquity of of manual and automatic versions, "comfort" mode, mandatory idrive and screen on top of dash in worst possible location for serious driver, etc.

All of these little foibles add up to water down the formula enough that when the calculus is done, the 1M is better for me. I place a high value to driver focused cockpits, how a car drives and feels and "specialness."

The no-nav cockpit in my 1M is so focused for a modern BMW much like the M3 no-nav cockpit in the video that they praised. The instruments are big and clear with oil gauge. There is no comfort button, auto-blipping, fake sound, good steering feedback, great clutch and gearbox feedback too. These core traits that I value, are outstanding.

Most people put more emphasis on "doing it all" they prefer all-in-one fax, copier, printer devices versus a really good quality printer. They love gadgets and only care about the bottom line. How much does it cost, how many gadgets do you get for it and how fast does it go. So to, many the M2 which is amazing at so many things, is a better car for them and they can't understand why anyone would give up all those things.

We are all different people and that is a good thing and it's OK to like and value different things. When I was younger and traveled through Europe I made a decision to see less cities and spend more time in them. Meet more poeple and learn their ways. Most in my group decided to visit as many cities as they could. They would spend two days in Florence, I spent nine days, 1 day in Corfu, I was still in Florence, met some locals that showed me around.

When we all returned to the US they had an awesome scrapbook from every major european city and I only had a few in same time but I have letters from friends I made there and some have come to visit and I have visited them again. Both ways are good, it's just that some of us believe that the how you get to a place is just as important as the destination and the 1M suits that. You will not tick off as many destinations but you are rewarded on the way there. It is more focused and simpler and engaging.

This isn't religion where I am trying to convince M2 people of it, simply to explain it to them because they think we're crazy because they can tick off so many boxes.

Finally, on the topic of those that had 1M as changed to M2, I was there from the beginning. Many bought the 1M because it was the next great thing and most were not really buying into what it was intended as a back to basics car. I recall, Dr. Segler saying "most will order it like this, with no options." He was wrong, in the US most were ordered loaded. Many people got allocations because they were regular customers that got M cars every couple of years. Then they complained because it didn't have dynamic suspension, or real carbon roof and someone even complained their vanity mirror didn't have a light! Many have moved on now to something that suits them better and I am hopeful that many of these 1Ms will end up in the hands of those that truly appreciate what they are and what they were intended to be which was a return to basics were the joy came from driving dynamics and feel and getting to the destination, even if .2 seconds behind, should be more engaging.
Appreciate 1
Nkc1600.50