12-25-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
kr3678
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I don't see what the problem is. The car is getting old. Things need to be replaced. The bulb burning out is not a big deal. As for the tires, those wear out too.

On the issue with the headlights being out, this is where you'll need to sit down. The electronics for the headlight probably got burned out when you washed the car. And the reason the electronics are toast is probably due to you replacing the H8 bulb. The back cover has to be on perfectly or water will get into the housing where the electronics are. This is a known issue when replacing bulbs in the headlight assemblies. This is also why I won't mess with trying different bulbs to get a white halo/angel eyes. Not worth the risk unless I absolutely have to replace a burned out bulb. Some people have been lucky by being able to get the water out of the headlight assembly and dry out the module. If not, this is going to be a pretty expensive repair.
I'm just letting out my frustration. I am well aware of old cars needing maintenance. If you look at my signature you can see I have a fleet of older cars. I've just never owned one as fragile and needy as this one. I'm beginning to remember why I got rid of my E90 before it got out of warranty.

While you say it is a known issue, I never ran across anything about it until I searched for the failed Adaptive Headlight warning. The back cover was on perfectly, but there was a small, semi-circular spot on the lip missing, which was apparently left from the BMW dealership that replaced the headlights for the previous owner a couple of years ago.

I have no doubt the repair is going to be expensive.
'87 VW Cabriolet
Appreciate 0