View Single Post
      01-26-2021, 10:43 PM   #48
dandandan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmo View Post
dandandan do you have pictures of where you stowed the unit/box? I'm thinking about plunging in to this project as well, seems like people have mostly had good results.
Exactly in the same place as pictured here

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26934550

I used zip ties to keep it in place wrapped around the MMI and dash frame metal supports. You don't need to bother with double sided tape, zip ties will work perfectly. Just watch the clearance on the passenger vent arm as to not make contact with it. It's a small fragile plastic arm that opens and closes the vent.

Wrap the parts of the MMI box with felt tape anywhere it makes contact metal to metal but don't close the circuitry vents on the sides. The last thing you want is more rattling in these cars.

Pro tip: the glovebox has a black trim piece that is next to the HU and runs under the cosmetic trim on the dash. That is the culprit of a lot of squeaking. While you have the glovebox off, unscrew the trim piece a little bit and place felt tape where there is plastic to plastic contact causing a very infamous squeak in the dash.

A huge benefit of this installation, if done correctly, is that you will have an opportunity to place felt tape on areas that make noise and shut them up.

Also the glovebox re-install can be deceptive. There are two small rubber grommets hidden under where the bolts on top screw in. These grommets make it feel impossible to re-install until you simply lift them up a bit to allow the glovebox to hook back up that last half inch.

For DCT guys, pop off the larger trim around the shifter first then rotate and locate the clips to release the leather boot. Unplug the sport button and shifter cable carefully then carefully pull the shifter up and out.

I'll make a video walk through on Saturday fuck it. More to come.
Appreciate 0