View Single Post
      06-30-2017, 12:37 PM   #89
lowside67
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i

Canadian Nationals 2017

Last weekend we had our Canadian Nationals autocross event, our largest local event that we hold in Vancouver. The format is 3 runs on each of 4 courses over 2 days with the cumulative time determining the winner. We had 110 competitors - not much different than our usual numbers, but most of the novices that would normally show up did not and were instead replaced with folks traveling from Washington and Oregon and neighboring provinces in Canada. We had 7 drivers in the STX class for the weekend.

The additional front camber has been a game changer, the car simply works much better. We only had one event to test though since adding 0.7 degrees of additional negative camber, so the car is still relatively "unrefined" and we spent the weekend trying to achieve some shock settings we were happy with. We rolled the car on the scales - 3,032lbs at race weight. Considering the car has stock seats, exhaust, brakes, and battery - I am not surprised. I am targeting 2,950 next season.

(Photos from the test and tune event - hence two drivers)

We had some challenges this weekend - cones and temperature. Cones are cones, I just need to drive better, but the temperature was killer. It was about 90F and with two drivers in the 128 on RE71Rs with only 3-4 minutes between runs, despite spraying and doing our best, the tires were absolutely dead by third runs. It was only by the fourth course that I actually was able to get the discipline together to set a fast time on run 2 - the previous ones I had dirty second runs and then a slower clean third run.

As you can see, it was a good weekend overall for us in the 128 with a 1-2 finish out of 7 drivers. However, I included the "scratch" column to show that there was a lot more time on the table for us. Just continues to reinforce that I need to drive better! Looking forward to the Packwood National Tour next weekend - 17 drivers currently registered in STX.