03-02-2019, 03:44 PM   #1
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Dead battery...please help

I recently moved jobs and have virtually zero need to drive. I live literally a 3 minute bike ride from my job. My car never had any signs of a weak battery prior to dormancy. My car has been sitting for about 7 months now. My 6 year old battery is dead parked facing a wall. Literally zero juice to even turn on a single interior light and I CANT OPEN THE TRUNK. I have taken off my DCT shifter trim and can force it to go into neutral but I'm unsure if that technique require electricity. I just found out that this car does not have a key slot to manually open the trunk.

Lessons learned:
1. When storing this car, make sure to have one of the rear seats unlocked
2. Make sure to never put the key in the slot so that it doesnt get stuck (yes, I did it)
3. When storing the car, park backing in.
4. Also, connect it to a battery tender.
5. Drive my car more often...I dont have harsh weather to deal with so I can take my car on a fun drive. (Been having fun cycling around town recently)

All that said, how can I access my trunk? Are my best options is to connect it to a fresh battery from the front?

My next question is my dealer is charging me close 600 bucks to replace a battery. I'm willing to buy and install the battery on my own but registration/coding sounds daunting to me. Anyway, what kind of battery is the most appropriate/suggested? (my stock battery has the part number 61217604813)

I'm more used to dealing with more simple cars (like an e30) where I can easily go to a local auto parts store, drop a new battery in, and drive. I would not have to spend close to 600 bucks for a battery swap.

Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0