View Single Post
      11-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #76
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Had the CIC unit out of the car to image the hard drive. This is a very good idea for anyone with a CIC, as the hard drives can eventually fail in older cars.

The PATA ide SSD that came with the CIC unit is the wrong size (its a more compact shorter 2.5" drive) so will not work in the CIC's hard drive cage.

I have now ordered a MSATA to IDE converter, which will open up my options to drive choices. I have also purchased a 512GB msata SSD for my laptop. I will put the 512GB into my laptop and take the old 256GB ssd into my CIC.

While I had the CIC unit I decided to reroute the CIC's USB cable. Previously the USB cable barely reached the CIC, as it was routed behind the glovebox as it was a lot easier that way. As I want to do things properly, I decided to route the cable in front of the passenger airbag above the glovebox. This required some extra disassembly, I needed to unbolt the lower part of the dash just enough to fit the cable through. Luckily there's a cable tidy clip in there that can be used to hold the usb cable nice and securely. After the rerouting, theres at least 30cm of extra slack in the cable, so its much easier to remove/install the CIC unit.
Attached Images