View Single Post
      01-24-2018, 08:09 AM   #6
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranfx View Post
I've a 2011 135i DCT N55 with 57k miles. My car has been throwing 2DD6 for a while:

Mechanic told me I'll have to get VVT/eccentric shaft sensor replaced which is some good amount of money with labor.

Is it okay to let the car run as is? I don't really have any problems other than minor occasional rough idle ~(600-650 rpm)

Is it okay to flash and run car with MHD? Or should I get this fixed before trying any mods?

p.s. I've new spark plugs/coils, intake and exhaust manifolds are cleaned. No problems with WOT running stock.
The biggest issue is do you know what position your valves are currently in? If the valvetronic motor stopped working when the eccentric was at minimum valve lift the car wouldn't start at all (no intake valve airflow). However, knowing that the valves are NOT at minimum lift DOES NOT mean you can assume they are currently at MAX lift. You'd have to check the valve position by manually rotating the eccentric shaft to ensure that it is set to max valve lift... If the shaft isn't at max lift, you'll be limiting airflow.

Otherwise, there does not seem to be any ill effects of running without the eccentric shaft senor. All the eccentric shaft sensor does is provide feedback of actual valve angle the ensure proper actuation is being achieved by the valvetronic motor. Without valvetronic operating, the DME fail-safes to controlling airflow with the throttle plate like an N54 does.

Last edited by bbnks2; 01-30-2018 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0