05-11-2017, 05:54 PM   #69
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean5000 View Post
The doner car was a Manual so I got the 3.85. Finding this thing was pretty tough and when I finally did and saw that it had solid bushings, upgraded diff bushings, and braided Lines I had to jump on it! Hopefully its not too big of a difference but if so Ill be dropping the diff for a rebuild and re-gear. The swap starts tomorrow night and Im hoping to have it rolling by Saturday. The driveshaft has me a bit weary as the driveline shop near my shop, which Ive used before refuses to modify the shaft as its friction welded from the factory which leaves little to no material to weld to. I have another place lll be checking out but I have a race the following weekend so shell be sitting in the shop with all our Porsches for a few weeks unless my fabricator is willing to make the mods and I can some how talk my driveline guy into balancing it on Monday

The guy I took my propshaft to lived 2 streets away from me and did it all in a shed at the back of his house. He did it properly, he cut the flanges off, mounted them in a lathe and machined them down so they fit inside of the propshaft tubing. It was then conventionally welded up on a rotating jig. Its definitely possible to do it properly.