View Single Post
      04-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #57
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30form View Post
While you might think BMW has "forgotten" you, it has not. The F30 simply fills a different niche than you want it to. The 1 currently does what you want it to. The 2 will be designed with that mind. Although BMW doesn't make a ton of money on enthusiasts, YOU (all of you) are the influence(rs) that help the masses choose the right car for them (namely a BMW). I can definitely say, BMW watches their fan base closely. Ask me how I know...
I'm an optimist at heart, so I'd like to believe this is true, but two truths strike me:

1) I don't consider the 1 to be a niche vehicle, I just think it sells poorly in the U.S. because it's priced so close to the 3, it's not practical for many people and the styling doesn't appeal to some people. But the bigger point is that the E9X shares most of the driving characteristics of the E8X, only a bit bigger and heavier -- they're not worlds apart.

In the time I've owned my 335i, I've had two E90 loaners during service and one F30. All were configured bare bones which gave me a fair opportunity to compare them at their roots. Even a stripped E90 sedan was fun to me. Aside from the 6-speed automatic transmission being a poor match for the N52, the car had that spark. The steering was responsive and firm, the suspension, though a bit softer than I would prefer in the stripped model, was balanced and compliant, and the chassis would dance a bit when tossed about. And without all the tech and eco crap, I could entirely focus on the drive. The F30 is a completely different animal -- I feel like a passenger in the driver's seat when I drive one. To put it bluntly, it's simply no fun -- BMW's mainstream, top selling model that's had a target on its back by the whole auto industry for 30 years is no longer any fun to me. That is not a good sign for the future.

2) There's a very strong likelihood that the new 2 will essentially represent a cut down F30 just as the E8X represents a cut down E9X. If that's the case, I simply don't see how the 2 Series will retain the spark of the current 1. It will almost certainly have electric steering, I'd bet the chassis will feel softer and duller just like the F30 and, for those of us who prefer naturally aspirated engines, there are no options.

I fully understand why BMW, in their quest to diversify and spread the brand across every niche, is leaving me on the beach and I accept that reality. I expect the problem (from my perspective) to get worse before it gets better. So I'll enjoy my 1 while it lasts and hope that someone else fills the void that I believe BMW is leaving in the marketplace.
Appreciate 0