View Single Post
      07-03-2007, 09:16 PM   #15
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

It should be very interesting to see how the 1 Coupe will steer. Keep in mind a couple of things however: 1) the implementation of the EPS is not same on every vehicle and the Z4's setup most likely wont apply to the 1er; 2) The 1 3-Door has received the EPS system and all of the reviews have been complementary (pick up the June issue of evo which compares the 130i against the Audi S3, Alfa Romeo Brera, and Mazda3 MPS) of that steering rack; 3) The 1 Coupe will receive a modified steering rack from the 1 hatchback. This from Car Magazine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Magazine
It also promises to be a scalpel sharp drive. Dr Dieter Konik, head of vehicle dynamics on the 135i project completely overhauled the 135i to put the driver first. “We achieved a perfect fifty-fifty weight distribution by having a heavier rear end and using lighter metals up front,” he told CAR. “We also introduced new spring and dampers, redesigned the front anti-roll bar for sharper turn-in and widened the rear track by 20mm. And we worked hard on the electric steering to heighten feel and response, improved the brakes and recalibrated the traction and stability controls, so the driver can have a lot more …” he opposite locks an imaginary steering wheel “… fun.” Both 135i and 123d get a version of BMW Motorsport’s electronically controlled limited slip diff.
It should be interesting to see how it turns out but Im not too concerned. I think that you (atr-hugo) should bomb down to the BMW dealer and test drive a Z4 (with the sport button on) to get an idea for what it might be like. I would say that the 1 Coupe will get a rack no worse than the Z4 when it comes to feel.
Appreciate 0