View Single Post
      12-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #9
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrane82 View Post
You are correct on all of the above. Many people run a slightly smaller diameter for a gearing advantage for autocross. I personally don't like doing this though, especially if your street tires will be stock diameter. I do track days so that I can learn car control on my daily driver so that I can safely and confidently do tail out antics on back road intersections and such. I think the car will behave quite differently though with a tire that is 1.5" smaller in diameter. And if you learn car control with a 23.5" tire, does that directly translate into having car control with a 25" tire......I guess I am not positive?

Either way your car will not explode with a 23.5" tire on it for track days, but that seems like a little too much gearing advantage in my opinion. Maybe others with experience running that small of a tire on track can chime in.

Edit: The 23.5" tire I am referencing is the 205/40R17. Rereading your post it looks like you are wanting to run the 215/45R17. That tire makes much more sense and is what I would suggest for your 7.5" wheels. You also said it is cheaper, so win win.
Got it - thanks! Yeah I would probably go with the 215/45 since they're the cheapest and would have the least affect on rolling diameter, though also the heaviest and widest. The other option was the 215/40 which are quite a bit narrower and would fit the narrower wheel, but still be slightly taller than the 205/40. The 215/40s are also quite a bit lighter than the 215/45s so that would be my "lightweight" option. I have a little bit of time to make this decision, but appreciate all the feedback from you!
Appreciate 1
jcrane82111.00