View Single Post
      01-03-2021, 03:05 AM   #10
bobowar135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' Sedona Red 135i

I have just dealt with a stretched cable on my 1er'. Instead of shelling out for a factory cable (not to mention the wait until it arrives and the pain in ass factor of replacing), I devised my own dodgy fix.
I paid a visit to my local bicycle shop & picked up a generic brake cable and adjustable cable clamp. Removal of the kick panel and handle has been covered before so I will not repeat. I left the front cable alone, but removed the rear cable from the housing, leaving the housing intact.
The new cable was lubed with a bar of soap and it slid up into the old housing like it was meant to be there. The round barrel on the end of the new cable was considerably larger than factory, so a combination of enlarging the hole in the cable receptor, and filing the barrel on the end of the cable was necessary to make it fit.
At the other end of the cable I machined a slot in the aluminium block attached to the front cable. The cable clamp I had obtained was larger than space permitted so was filed down to an acceptable size. The pics tell the story much better than I can tell in words.
On a side note, the hardest part of this has been the re-installation of the sill trim piece which is still not installed on the car!!
Placing the cable clamp in position must be done while the bonnet lock mechanism is in the closed position.
Attached Images

Last edited by bobowar135; 01-03-2021 at 03:12 AM.. Reason: Forgot a necessary nugget of advice.
Appreciate 0