View Single Post
      04-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #120
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
Roll down your drivers window, lock the doors, remove the key from the immediate area if you have CA, wait 5-10 minutes and wave your hand inside the car like you were going to steal a phone in center console. Do this while recording with a video camera. The alarm goes off. Then set it up again, this time just slide your hand along the inside of the drivers door, pry off the OBD cover and stick a cable on it like the JB3/JB4 OBD cable and show these buttholes how easy that was to do WITHOUT setting the alarm. Give them video proof it can be done...maybe that will help.

I'm moving my own OBD port!
So, quite rightly I tried this having confirmed the car was locked with button pressed just once. Only thing you got wrong is you only have to wait 30 secs alarm to activate!

Thanks to the OP in this thread I have done the needful to my car following my latest communication with BMW in reply to the previous woeful response.

Although they ignored my comment about alarm blind spot... perhaps the alarm would go off if the glass is broken... they advised that I or a third party can do what I want to the OBD port as part of "Block Exemption" and it will not harm my vehicles warranty if I did so with the usual exemptions to faults regarding the device.

If enough people take suitable action the scum will get bored and move on to something else when their easy steal method fails.

See letter below:

Dear Shost

Thank you for your email dated April 25, 2012. I am sorry that you have had further cause to contact BMW Customer Service regarding the issue you have previously raised with my colleague.

After reading the additional comments you have made, I acknowledge that you have carried out some research on the Internet. While this can be a useful tool, it does not always give a reliable representation of a possible situation as it is not a regulated source. BMW are aware of claims that our vehicles can be stolen in the way you have mentioned and I can confirm that this is an area which is still under internal investigation.

I can advise that BMW are always endeavouring to stay ahead of the people behind organised vehicle crime. There are many measures in place that guard against electronic attacks on a BMW and software is updated periodically to ensure our vehicles remain secure.

I can confirm that under block exemption, it is entirely at your discretion whether you or a third party decide to modify the OBD port. However, if a fault occurs which is directly attributed to the work carried out or non approved parts are used, the warranty will not cover the cost of repair. Any warranty work, must be carried out by a BMW Approved Dealership.

Please be assured that your additional comments have been logged under case reference number 1-78XXXXXXX, which will be used in conjunction with our ongoing product auditing and customer satisfaction programmes.

I trust that this information clarifies our position, however, please be assured of my full attention should you require it again in the future.

Yours sincerely

BMW UK
Diane Lee

I Love that second to last paragraph, last line. DAMM RIGHT you'll product audit!

Last edited by Shost; 04-29-2012 at 03:30 PM..
Appreciate 0