Thread: Update maps
View Single Post
      01-27-2018, 11:13 PM   #24
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

The biggest problem with the Navigation system in the 1-Series, even the later years, is that it really really SUCKS. The display itself is dimly lit (I adjusted it to maximum brightness in my recently sold 2013 135i and it still was hard to read in most lighting conditions), the unit is an eyesore, and disrupts the simplicity of the top dash line to window interface. The voice prompts are often too little, too late. For the record, I did update the mapping in my 2013 135i Coupe, with the aid of a forum sponsor, about a year ago, and it was not that expensive (~$50) and the update went well. But the unit itself still sucked, bigtime.

I have a several year old Garmin Nuvi that I use from time to time in my other cars which don't have a Nav unit (other than my 2016 Golf R, which has one, which is far superior to the one I had in my 135i coupe). This Garmin Nuvi, although dated, is hugely better than the POS that was in my 135i coupe.

Neither of my remaining 1-Series cars (1M and 135is Convertible) have Nav, for which I am thankful. If I still had a 1-Series car with Nav, I'd probably update it, but the better solution would be to remove it from the car (if feasible) and then if you needed a GPS, go buy a proper freestanding one.