View Single Post
      12-18-2018, 08:29 AM   #163
rowsdower
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Jose View Post
Unfortunately, there are a bunch of knotheads who think dropping a car looks cool with no interest how the suspension functions. Also a hard riding suspension is hard or the car wearing out suspension bushings and creating a lot of rattles.

You're not wrong here. There's an article linked at the top of one of these sub-forums where TC Kline talks about suspension setups for the 128i. Here is an excerpt:

Quote:
“If there’s any message I’d like to get out there, it’s that the best suspension is not the one with the most spring rate, but the one with the best shock damping that’s designed to work with the chassis and has as little spring rate as you can put in that gives you the best handling,” he says. “That’s the optimum setup for any race car, even an F1 car.”

Even in high-level racing, Kline says, a lot of teams set their cars up far too stiffly for optimum handling. “If they can’t get the power down coming out of a turn, they’re usually too stiff.”

The problem, he says, often stems from driver assumptions about setup.

“If they feel any roll in the car, they automatically think they need it stiffer,” Kline explains, “but that’s not necessarily the right answer.”
The thing is that a lowered car looks more sporty (to a point). Most people dropping their cars are not doing so to shave a second off their lap times.
Appreciate 0