View Single Post
      08-11-2010, 12:30 PM   #15
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefly View Post
I suspect we will get to the point where DCT replaces the slushbox STEPTRONIC in all BMW models (which is fine by me, no love lost for the slushbox in my opinion) but that the manual tranny will be an extra cost option or - worse - reserved for higher trim levels only.

Interesting times to be a driving enthusiast...
Having to pay for a manual would be an interesting conundrum. BMW's are already premiumly priced. I wonder how many die-hards if they had to pay for it would cave in to sequentials, or switch to other competitive brands.

If DCT was the new 'standard' transmission and I had to fork out $1400 or so for a manual BMW I would definitely have to think long & hard.

It's not a question of jettisoning other 'luxury' options to make up for the added cost, because I'm already at the point where I'm a 'value' shopper, and that necessitates being a minimalist and preferring things like manual seats and doing without the latest techno doohickie's.

I guess in the end if it was a special enough vehicle I would cough up the dough (at least the first time), but I'd still probably feel bitter about the experience well after it was over.

Then it would be just one more thing added to complain about besides RFT's, loss of dipstick and the window controls on the door.

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 0