01-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #33
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by russo414 View Post
Hey guys! First off, I'm Anthony and I am brand new to this forum (although I have been reading through it for awhile). I don't know if this is in the right spot, so i apologize in advance if it is!
So I am about to be 17 and I am looking for a car. I have wanted a 128i for a long time now and have done a good bit of research.
The 128i's that I have been looking at are all between 90k-120k miles. My concern would be getting one with such high mileage and have to constantly pour money into repairs.
So basically, how reliable are these cars past 120k miles, and how much more mileage can I expect to see. (Assuming all proper maintenance was done). Also are there any major repairs I should be looking out for to be done, or that I will have to do.
There's some great advice in here from the other guys so I'll just summarize from my own experiences.

Non-turbo BMW's are not at all off track of any other car when it comes to high mileage. You need to be just as careful buying a 100k Ford as a 100k 128i.

And regardless of any records or promises from the previous owner or dealership, PLAN FOR FAILURE. Don't get caught in a situation where you've purchased a car you can't afford to fix.

For example, my friend recently purchased a VERY clean 128i coupe, with full service records, a BMW PPI, and about 83k on the clock. Two weeks after he bought it the engine spun a bearing and $3,500 later he had another N51 dropped in. Shit happens to all cars, but BMW parts prices are higher than other brands and it's something worth thinking about.