Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
Great engines the N51/52 are.
But staying on top of maintenance is paramount. Oil changes, spark plugs, vanos, gaskets so on and so forth. Staying on top of maintenances should give you a relatively headache free owning experience.
I would have agreed with you 18 months ago, but my 2011 seems to be nickel and diming me lately. Every time I turn around it's something else relatively minor that needs to be addressed. My brake master cylinder went last week. $197 for a new one from FCP Euro (OEM, not OE - OE would be $400).

My ALL button no longer works and I haven't even looked into what that will take to get fixed. It doesn't matter that much but I almost always drive the 1er alone, so I end up setting the temperature twice each time I want to change it since I can no longer lock the 2 sides together with the ALL button.

I have a couple other minor things to eventually get to. These cars are reaching that age where they're going to need constant attention if you want them to operate 100%, or you live with small things being inoperative. I do agree that it isn't major component failures so that is a good thing.
I think what you're talking about isn't anything specific to the 128i. Lots of cars will have these small issues with age and higher mileage. I think the point OP is asking is, is it going to be mechanically reliable and not set him back hundreds and thousands of dollars every year. I think the answer is definitely a Yes. With normal maintenance this car should keep going. Having to fix a dash button for setting the temperature is not going to prevent the car from driving everyday
Appreciate 0