12-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Question My Story.....

So believe it or not this keeps happening to people and now me. I thought I had all my ducks in a row. I called the parts dept. to verify fluids were in stock.

Parts guy verified that the Rear Diff fluid was in stock(P/N 83 22 2 282 583), but did not have the MT-5 fluid in stock(P/N 83 22 2 239 654). The service adviser told me to bring it in anyway, get the engine oil + filter and rear diff fluid changed out. They would then order the MT-5 fluid and schedule an appointment to perform that service when it arrives. I also had a screw rolling around sound coming from the back trunk area of the car that the shop foreman found while I was doing the paper work.
So the services performed according to invoice:

A. Scope Check
B. Engine Oil Service (oil + filter)
C. Rear Differential Fluid
D. Multi-point Inspection
E. Loose Part(screw) in Rear Chasis Area

If you look at C, the part number for the fluid that went into the rear diff is 83 22 0 406 941. This is BMW M3 MTF-LT-2 SAE75W-80 manual transmission fluid. This seems almost unthinkable. The mechanic had to ask for this by P/N the part is then scanned by the Part Dept. and then given to the mechanic to put into the car. If anyone can offer a reasonable explanation I would love to ease my concern but I have a feeling this is not good. Thanks.