View Single Post
      11-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #12
Racing Teatray
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i GC

No idea regarding the seats. But for the price I'd hope leather seats were standard. I did gather xenons would be standard.

I don't think it matters that this is not a bespoke M unit. Under the circumstances and predicted low volume (my understanding is that it's not going to be limited to a set production number, but that nevertheless it'll be like the Audi RS4 - limited by the fact it won't be on sale for that long given the base coupe is nearing the end of its lifecycle), it simply isn't realistic to expect a bespoke M engine. It must be cheaper to modify the N54 which is already engineered for the chassis, rather than the old Z4M's engine, which wasn't.

According to the M engineer who rode shotgun in the white car I drove, they used the older N54 biturbo unit rather than the new N55 single turbo unit, because the N54 was easier to tweak it to provide the expected M car responses compared to the N55 which is engineered more for better efficiency and economy.

Current: Macan GTS
Previous: 440i GC, M135i, E60 M5, Z1, 330d, 135i, Alfa 156 GTA, Mercedes 500E, Audi S3, Audi A3 quattro, VW Golf GTI 16v
Appreciate 0