07-04-2017, 03:57 PM   #19
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
I would prefer that someone DOES get into the list of higher maintenance points, because that is still something I do not understand.
Fair enough, the internet is filled with a lot of conjecture and folklore, and I will admit my opinion (like most) has been swayed by this at one point or another. Off the top of my head:

- The old tail about turbos vs non turbos, I suppose if you take it simply at face value, there are "more" components to a turbo engine than the same engine without turbos....doesn't guarantee more maintenance, but over time and sample size it shows up.

- N54 had expensive injectors, which do require replacement (I think it was 40K miles?) based on what most people see

- N54 had the HPFP issues, I'm no expert but not sure if they were all fixed finally or even with latest parts there are still issues

- N54 had the turbo wastegate rattle, again I don't have hard numbers on incidence and the internet has a funny way of amplifying things...but it's something to keep in mind

- N54 & N55 are both DI, N52 is not. Carbon cleaning is required after a certain amount of mileage to keep things running smoothly

The only thing above that's a "maintenance" item are the injectors and carbon cleaning, the rest is just luck of the draw. Outside of factors like preference, if power is something people are after then yea absolutely you'd be nuts to purchase a 128 vs a 135, bang for buck is always going to favour the 135.

Did the above factor into my decision making process? Yea I would say so, it's just more to think about that I would rather not, but that's just my conservative nature. For others the lure of power and other std items the 135 brings to the table would overrule any hesitation...
Appreciate 0