09-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #93
MontegoCoupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2012 128i Coupe

Minimal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
Paranoia. Oil flows through the center and extrudes through the inner filters and travels outwards. Majority of sediment is caught in the fibrous material that makes up the filter and remains trapped, which is why mileage per filter is kind of important. The residual leftovers draining back in is minimal. However, a filter that is not changed at the right interval loses integrity and can cause more damage than the "drip down" you are worried about.

Kind of like the filters for CNC wire EDM machines. Filters out the sediment from metals in the water, but as time goes by, the abundance of trapped materials causes poor / minimal filtering, which causes poor performance and more work for the machine. Same concept for a combustion motor.
Minimal drain back? If the oil under pressure moves from the center of the filter to the outside of the filter, isn't this minimal drain back going directly into the passage feeding the bearings, etc. essentually allowing crap to go to the bearings? I read in one of the oil change posts that they cleaned the internal housing with brake-clean "since it just goes through the motor". Unless I completely misunderstand the configuration of this housing and passages, this can't be correct. Brake-clean at a bearing surface is a really bad thing! I could see the foggy logic if the housing drained to the pan, but I don't see how it could.

Maybe I'm wrong,

MontegoCoupe
Appreciate 0