11-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #56
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2djazz View Post
My 2009 135i is my weekend driver. It barely has 83000 just over miles. Sunday, Nov 12 2017, it overtemped without warning. I got the sudden amber warning and a severely drop in power. It was as if I had taken my foot off the gas. 2 minutes later, I got the red and she wouldn't do jack-squat. She had a fever and didn't have enough get-up-and-go to get completely off the road. I had to sit and let it cool for about 10 minutes before I could get my back-end off the road enough to feel comfortable. Good thing for me it was 800AM on a Sunday and traffic was light. So, I say to you the reader, GET THAT PUMP AND THEMOSTAT REPLACED !!! Or you can push your luck and have it go out on the 405 freeway in Los Angeles at rush hour, or in the twisties of some remote mountain road, with no cell service. Go ahead, don't mind me...what the heck do I know !!! Push that luck and have your own story to tell.
Good story, Jazz. Right on target. But, there's just this one thing... when to replace? If someone were really compulsive, they might have replaced their water pump at 40,000 miles, just in case. Then what? Again at 80,000 miles, just in case. So now, this compulsive someone has replaced their water pump twice and it had never failed. Not even once. And what about those unfortunate few whose pumps failed at 35,000 miles? What should they have done? Obviously, they should have changed their pumps out at 34,000 miles, right?

You see the problem. When is the right time? I feel like I have wasted too much energy fretting about this. I am just at 57,000 miles on my original water pump and I am going to keep going. So...when my pump fails at 58,000 miles way out in the middle of nowhere, you can all have a good laugh at my expense. I won't mind a bit. Really I won't.

Peace and love... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 1
Gangplank1541.50