Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
The boost number was around 12psi; I couldn't find where I originally read that, but here's BPC's own webpage with power output and details on what they did:
https://bimmerperformancecenter.com/pages/bpc-n52-turbo
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I'm skeptical of their claims. Do we know when this advertisement was penned? There have been more then a few attempts at using FI in the engine and its hard to find vehicles that are force fed and running on the streets, they're rarer then hens teeth and so many guys are chomping at the bit to boost them yet can't find reliable ways to get it done.

The car in the link shows some nice pics of the engine compartment and some stills on the track. They built a roll cage for the car so it obviously was built for track use yet we see little track vid or times, dyno printouts, 1/4 mile times or anything else.
N52 engine was produced for about about a decade and then production shutdown a few years ago. It's a great plant for what it was designed for( light weight, better fuel economy, and sporty) but wasn't built to handle too much additional power. There's no way a cast I6 crank, magnesium block engine can handle 500whp or anything near that for any reasonable amount of time. I'll say the guys on this forum are leading the way on what's up with the platform yet I can't remember more then a scant hand few who have FI on their cars( with many ending badly)with a large percentage of N52 owners saying they want it.

My nephew has a N52 car and has been chasing his tail looking for a SC or turbo to bolt on his car and gets excited when new systems come forward but is always disappointed in the end, he's given up.

I guess it's only my opinion but after 10 years of engine production and more years of the engines being on the streets there still isn't a legitimate, feasible FI system for them that will make decent power above stock and have longevity. Many new engines have viable FI systems within a year or so of hitting the streets to bolt on gobs of hp. That's very telling.
Go on YouTube, search "BPC N52 Turbo" and you'll see numerous dyno pulls, track days, and street drivability testing. It's a working, reliable thing, and wonderfully fast, too...

They scrapped street development for their kit, but they've made available what was done and how they did it, so it could be duplicated. ESS has a supercharger that makes good power and has been on the market for a while.