Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
What exactly is the draw of this? BMW already offered a 3 liter straight 6 turbo motor in the E8x (2 of them actually!) proven by many people to be able to handle big power. I just don't see why people are even bothering with this for the N52?
It's an easier financial pill/idea to swallow to buy an $8000 128i, have fewer issues, save money and boost it to the moon later than it is to buy a more expensive 135i and possibly have to drop hundreds or thousands on repair/maintenance costs just to keep it on the road. There's plenty of success stories but also plenty of horror stories.

I would love more power out of this car and have definitely dreampt of the ESS kit, but bottom line is I don't think I'll be boosting this thing. Would rather S85 swap it..
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
What exactly is the draw of this? BMW already offered a 3 liter straight 6 turbo motor in the E8x (2 of them actually!) proven by many people to be able to handle big power. I just don't see why people are even bothering with this for the N52?
Never understood it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post

It's an easier financial pill/idea to swallow to buy an $8000 128i, have fewer issues, save money and boost it to the moon later than it is to buy a more expensive 135i and possibly have to drop hundreds or thousands on repair/maintenance costs just to keep it on the road. There's plenty of success stories but also plenty of horror stories.
No, this is a pie in the sky idea and it makes no logical or financial sense to boost a 128i over buying a 135i. The cost of the FI kit, labor and tuning at a competent shop, and associated costs of other parts that should be upgraded along with the FI kit would negate any savings of buying a 128i vs 135i. To assume the reliability of this now boosted 128i would be more reliable than a 135i is simply absurd! I don't know why this idea is still being argued to be honest.
Appreciate 0