05-03-2017, 12:55 PM   #17
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Panther View Post
Hi Greg,

Been following your work for some time now and enjoying every correction you undertake.

I have a question about iron-x and similar fallout removal products. The directions to apply the product on dry panels and after 5 minutes to take a damp cloth and work the product into the paint.

I tried this on my GTi and just didn't feel comfortable performing this action. I will be doing a paint correction on a GLC300 in May and was wondering if I can spray the product on a wet car just after washing it.

Would I yield better results on dry or wet paint? Any tips for me?
The products state to spray onto a dry panel in an effort to get the maximum iron removing abilities out of the chemical. If you are spraying Iron X (or similar) onto a wet panel, you are effectively diluting the chemical and therefore reducing its ability to remove the iron particles.

I would recommend a slightly different approach as this is what we do and what works well for us...

Make Iron X the first step in your washing & decontamination process. Spray the Iron X liberally onto a dirty vehicle and let it go to work, next foam the car down and begin washing the car. This will assist in lifting the loosened iron particles from the paint.

Hope that helps!

-Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunginator View Post
Hey Zach,

Recently, I picked up Optimum No-Rinse Wash (ONR) and I've used to a couple times. Both times, it felt really weird! I'm still not convinced that this is a SAFER method compared to a traditional 2-bucket method soap/shampoo wash.

Also, whenever I view the blogs of all these high-end detailing shops, they always seem to be washing the car with soap rather than rinseless solutions before correcting the paint. This leads me to believe that the professionals still prefer the traditional soap 2 bucket method wash.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks!
Hey - "safer" is a pretty subjective term, however I am a big fan of both rinseless and waterless washing methods. When done properly, and in the right situations, I would say that are certainly as safe as traditional washing.

We use foam lances and pressure washes on the majority of vehicles that come in for full correction work because we are doing a lengthy cleaning AND decontamination process. This process utilizes various chemicals such as tar removers, iron/fallout removers, etc. along with detailing clay or synthetic clay products to completely remove any bonded contaminates from the surface prior to the paint correction process. I do not like to use rineseless or waterless washing products when we are using these other chemicals as I like to rinse the areas very very well to ensure all of the other chemicals have been removed after use.

For general maintenance, rinseless and waterless washes are my go-to!

Hope that helps!

-Zach
Appreciate 1