Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Sorry sir you have it backwards. BMW's own number that are used to perform the same method for certification list the 1M At 3296 lbs and 135i At 3373 lbs. not only is the 1M 77 lbs lighter to start with because of all aluminum subframe and suspension. Even the shocks and struts are aluminum vs steel on 135i but the 1M is also carrying bigger wheels and tires, bigger brakes and a full lock differential, bigger exhaust, quicker M steering rack as well as an additional radiator with extra coolant. So even though many say 77 lbs is not that much. It is 77 lbs plus bigger and better hardware on top of it. There is less insulation and even the flywheel is lighter!

As Yoda would say, " more wrong, you cannot be."
Hmm, the numbers I quoted were originally taken directly from BMW's German site.

Both the 1M and the 135i have an aluminium front subframe and a steel rear subframe. Also, after having switched all my front and rear control arms to the 1M version, there really is no difference in weight. The rear front and upper arms on the 135 are actually probably lighter, but the rear camber arm is a little lighter on the 1M. Makes is pretty much a wash, or a 2 or 3 lb difference total.
Please re-read my post. The steering rack is different and quicker. The flywheel lighter, there is less insulation. The shocks and strut housings are aluminum. The brakes are bigger but cross drilled with aluminum hats. The diff is much more complex and there is
More rubber and wheel clearance. Even if the final weight were the same it is not a "wash". For less weight you get harder edged components. The 135 is an amazing machine but you are discounting significant differences while still being lighter! I believe you simply reread the original post incorrectly and assigned the lighter weight to the 135 instead of 1M.
So much butt hurt in this thread.

First off, both the 135 and 1M could be bought with, or without the moonroof, so that point is meaningless.

The 135 has aluminium hat rotors as well. This thread is purely about weight, so I don't know why people are mentioning the variable ratio steering rack, does that make it lighter?

The 135 has aluminium front and rear calipers, the 1M has cast iron front calipers.

I am not even remotely saying the 1M is not a special vehicle, but I am calling a spade a spade. It is a 135 that they threw a bunch of of the shelf parts at, and it works beautifully. Just don't treat it as more than what it is.
Appreciate 0