Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
So much butt hurt in this thread.

First off, both the 135 and 1M could be bought with, or without the moonroof, so that point is meaningless.

The 135 has aluminium hat rotors as well. This thread is purely about weight, so I don't know why people are mentioning the variable ratio steering rack, does that make it lighter?

The 135 has aluminium front and rear calipers, the 1M has cast iron front calipers.

I am not even remotely saying the 1M is not a special vehicle, but I am calling a spade a spade. It is a 135 that they threw a bunch of of the shelf parts at, and it works beautifully. Just don't treat it as more than what it is.

1M was not available with a Sunroof. 135i in North America came standard with a sunroof.

The 1m has larger and heavier E92 M3 brakes. They perform better than the 135i brakes however.

The 1M has active steering with an m3 rack. It likely weighs a tad bit more.

The main point was that the 1M has some of the beefier M3 rear subframe and LSD, beefier brakes and additional PPK radiator, but saves weight through some of the m3 lighter parts, shocks, camber links and no sunroof. So even if the two cars are similar in weight, the 1m packs more performance value per lb.
The 135 did not come standard with a sunroof. I had to pay a considerable amount to add it with the "Executive Package". They just did not make the option available on the 1M.
Appreciate 0