View Single Post
      01-22-2021, 12:40 PM   #321
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwal View Post
Hey everyone, those are the two cars that I was referring to in my post yesterday.
The California car has over 2k in fees and fluff in the out the door price. Salesperson told me they have already installed a 1000 dollar low-jack system that is added to the price of the car. Not really interested in having that, let alone paying for it.
The Ohio car seems good, but I don't feel like the N51 is going to be a good option in the long term. The warranty on those otherwise expensive components is 15 years or 150k miles. Once that has expired, the car would be very costly to maintain. It also has a lower compression ratio, and requires more expensive custom tuning to get the benefit of the 3 stage manifold. The standard N52 can use a stock BMW tune for much lower cost.

I'm sure someone will really like these cars, and I would buy the California one, but those fees added to shipping or paying to drive it back ruin what would be a good deal. The Ohio car is essentially the same price, but with the N51 and the sunroof it's not ideal for me. The M-Sport package is nice, but its really not necessary for me.

I guess I'm being too picky, but this thread has more or less morphed into advice on buying an e82 for anyone interested, so I would like to keep it going haha. Any other people looking on here? Welcome to opinions tell me I'm wrong and a dummy for not jumping on either of these cars haha. Thanks!

I totally respect your decision to not get any one of those two amazing cars listed. As they say, your money, your call. No one here can sway you to buy anything if you don’t “feel it.” You get my drift.

I’ll say this, though. I drive a 128i with the N51 engine. Sure, it’s probably the “slowest and lamest” version due to environmental concerns and all that shenanigans (which I don’t mind at all), but for me, the engines are practically the same performance-wise. I track my N51 car, hard, since I started doing events two years ago and i have not had any issues w the engine. Sure, I may get a bit more oomph from it if I had the option to tune it w the regular BMW tune or even a custom N51 tune, but even without I think it’s robust enough to get a lot of fun from. IIRC, you don’t plan on tracking yours so either way you go, you won’t be disappointed. Don’t let the N51 vs N52 debate scare you. I’m not an armchair expert and admit that I do not know much about engines nor worked on mine further than changing plugs and coils so be warned. Don’t over think it but do stick to your guns on what you can live w or without.
Appreciate 1