03-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #18
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
Depends what you're after. For dry performance wider would certainly be stickier, though I suspect feel and precision (turn in, etc) will suffer a little, and breakaway over the limit will become slightly more abrupt. For the street I went with stock sizes to maximize feel and drive-ability. If I was competing (autocross, etc) in the dry I'd max out the tire width.
Since I am not a track addict and use my car as a DD, stock M3 sizes make perfect sense to me, I am gonna check what exactly were the tire and rim sizes for a stock M3, I guess 245/40 and 265/40 in 18s, I am not sure from memory if there is PSS available at that size, hope it is, can't imagine any better tire for the 1M unless the person just uses the car exclusively in competition and so, then they might be a little short of perfect.

A question comes to mind that when switching to 18s if there is anything to do with the suspension setting? Since the car is calibrated only for 19s from the factory, there is a distant possibility that there can be some minor issues but then the recommended winter packages were 18s, so maybe nothing to worry about.

Please post your impressions with the 18s especialy if that will be with the PSS set.
Appreciate 0