04-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #133
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Why? Isn't your M Coupe based on a Z3? They don't even make the Z3 anymore! Why shouldn't that name be up for grabs?

I really do not understand why so many folks think the use of this name or that name now is sacreligious because it was used on a different car somewhere in the past.....

Does it make your car any less special? No....not at all. Trust me--your '00 M Coupe based on the Z3 will never be confused with this car......
You're right that they don't make the Z3, or the original Z4 anymore, but both previous M Coupes were two seater hatches (oddly not the traditional coupe per se), and both were rather unconventional for BMW. The M-ish version of the 1er will be a more traditional car more akin to various versions of the M3.

I suppose I'm a bit of a hypocrite as I don't mind them using M1, but think M Coupe would be wrong. I'd hope no one confuses a Z3 M Coupe for any version of the 1er, as I can ensure you which I'll always prefer. The new M Thingy might be interesting, but naming it the same thing as a very different car that's only three years out of production would be much more confusing than naming it the same thing as a boutique car thirty years out of production that most BMW buyers know of about as well as the Isetta.
Appreciate 0