View Single Post
      09-22-2020, 01:31 PM   #31
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Just replaced the original battery (Week 33 of 2012) in my 2013 128i with a new BMW battery. New one was larger and used the longest-size trunk mounting hole. Made for a bit of effort to get the plate back in the floor. Used Schwaben/Foxwell scan tool to register. Asked me a bunch of questions on markings on battery I never found. Probably should have taken a photo of the new batter prior to installation. Just told the scanner it was the same size (Ah) battery and used the date code on a sticker when it asked me for some number at/near the negative terminal. The old one had a date stamp in the terminal so I figured that's what it wanted. 4-digit number, no spaces. Seemed to work.

I'd been having some issues of "low voltage" warning after the car sat for a couple of days with the iPod still connected (if that made any difference) and with the dash information display so cramped anyway, I wanted to get rid of the warning triangle. It never failed to start. Pretty impressive life for a Varta battery! If I put it on my C-Tech charger with the "reconditioning" cycle, it would be fine for over a week if I didn't leave lots of things active, or the doors open, or the radio on without the engine running. The first clue I was going to get the "low voltage" warning would be loss of comfort-access to open the locked doors. I'd have to use the key button, at least once, to reactivate CA. I assume this is some protection that shuts off non-vital electrical consumers so the car will always at least start. Schwaben battery history test showed last battery at 55% and new one, not charged since manufactured, registered 75%.

On the instructions here for the clips on the side of the red-plastic positive terminal mass, if you just reach under where it clips, and simply pull out with your fingers, it released on mine quite simply. I started with the screwdriver but it made no sense.
Appreciate 0