04-17-2014, 09:11 PM   #41
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaron9999 View Post
Manual, Automatic, or DCT transmission?
How hot is the weather where you track your car?

If I were you, I would run with stock map first. You will run your engine cooler too. It is more critical to master the proper line, and proper braking technique. As mentioned in this thread several times, first mod is to get better brake fluid to reliably stop your car. Easy to boil stock brake fluid, and get s soft pedal, and lose your stopping power all of a sudden. Boiling your brake fluid is easy to do if it is not fresh (has absorbed some water). Get two bottles of ATE or Motul RBF-600 fluid, pressure bleeder, and bleed your brakes (easy DIY).

As you get experienced, the rest will come naturally: better brake pads, cooling of your rotors/pads, CDV delete, front negative camber adjustments (camber plates, M3 control arms), better tires, Limited Slip Differential, . Then you can start having fun and apply your software tune ...

Just my 2 cents ...
Auto will be running in DC during June so about 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Run stock, I see no benefit for running a tune. There's no trophy, contingency or prize money. Learning and having a good time are the things to focus on. A tune is just one extra thing you have to worry about going wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Stock tune, leave your ego at the gate and run the car with the sunny side up.

I ran HP+ Pads the first couple times on the track with the Z4M and they were relatively good until I got more aggressive and started to get fade. I ran PFC 06s on the Z4M afterwards and don't know what I'll do for the 128.

Going to a straight up track pad is not good though for beginners, you can easily overload the tires. An intermediate (autox/street/track) pad like a HP+ or similar might be up your alley.

There enlies the problem that I believe that many missed. I certainly understand the reasoning and value in learning in the stock much less powerful car. The problem is that my vehicle will never be driven at those power levels on the street. My car makes 100 whp/80wtq over stock just on the pump gas tune. How will what I learn on the strack in a stock car with a completely different power/torque curve properly translate to my souped up mode on the street. I find the learning translation and application a little hard to believe.