05-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmj View Post
Hi there,

I'm a '14 328xi sport wagon owner over in the 3-series forums, and I'm interested in buying a 135i convertible for the weekends. Ideally, I'd find one that's a CPO 2012-2013 model here in SoCal (hopefully a manual, though that's been tough to find), as one of the holdover new ones is probably too expensive for me. A couple of questions, if I may:

- I'm initially interested in a 135i with M Sport. Can anyone tell me if it's worth holding out for a 135is? My only hesitation with that one has been a few reports of a lot of exhaust drone at cruising, but perhaps that's the same with both cars. 20 odd extra horsepower sounds great to me.

- Can you tell me anything I should be looking out for in terms of issues with the car when I'm checking them out at dealerships?

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!
Obviously I'm biased, but I'd look seriously into a 135is, especially if you really like the wheels and extra power because the overall package then is a great value since the wheels alone are almost $2k. There are actually some dealerships that still have NEW 135is convertibles for sale at HUGE discounts, sometimes less than some places are selling used ones for and I've seen a few CPOs around, just gotta really look.

I will say that you'll probably get a little drone with the DCT, though after 5,000 miles, my drone is all gone, and even when there was a little, it was a small price to pay for that amazing performance exhaust sound. With the manuals, it's much less of an issue though and most don't have any drone or it's easily remedied by switching gears at that speed.

I can also say that if you ask any convertible owner with the performance exhaust, they'll tell you it's suuuch an amazing sound to hear with the top down, which is why I'd say if you can find the right 135is, go for it.
Appreciate 0