Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 135i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
I like it so here's some constructive criticism

You need to strip the car. Taking out the back carpet and stuff doesn't qualify. The doors are really heavy too so you need a plan to replace the skins with composite (moderate difficulty or expensive) and windows with lexan (easy and inexpensive). The thread title is no going back, but it looks exactly like a car that could "go back" with a few hours of work. Uh uh.

Also why do you have a roll cage? These are pretty useless for everything including safety. Running a harness with that thing only works if you have a HANS because you can't rely on the stock airbag anymore. Do you even have a HANS? Guessing not. Also oops, what's this, the front of the car's roof can still crush in and paralyze the driver cuz he thought it would be cool to wear a harness with anti submarine. Do NOT run a rollbar with a harness!

Bottom line, stock belts and airbags are so much less unsafe than rollbar + harnesses it isn't even funny. Forget about that stuff until you have the balls to ruin the car with a full cage which, yes, you guessed it, means you should probably wear a helmet when driving. The proper setup is a full cage + harness w/ anti submarine + HANS + helmet.

If you're like most people, that will hurt your feelings at least a little bit since you've already done the rollbar, but it's best to have the correct information so you can change the setup for the better. You have the potential to make a really sick project. Don't settle for mediocre and poorly executed.
It is clear by assumptions you made that your post had no intention of being "constructive."

I run fixed back seats with 6 point harness and a HANS device.

If I choose to have a 3 point belt to maintain street legality for driving to the track, with factory front airbags, that is my choice to make.

Move along.
Appreciate 5