View Single Post
      02-29-2020, 04:20 PM   #13824
SKI-R
Working towards usefulness
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i, Tundra, B8S4

Interesting harness topic ... essentially paraphrased/plagiarized a conversation from another forum in the next paragraph, but it jives with my thought process. I'll be using QuickFits in my autocross car (cageless and with stock seats for now) - this is my choice (not a recommendation) after prolonged consideration.

'Schroth has claimed that in their experience those fitted with harnesses fared better than those fitted without (3 point seatbelt), cage or no cage. Through tests and research they stated that most injuries during track crashes are caused by the person going out through the drivers window, hitting ones head on the roof once the car has turned on its roof (not crushing, but falling out of the seat with 3 point belts), and impacts from the side - pushing the person out of the 3 point belt (which are designed primarily for front impacts and are pretty useless for side impacts). A proper harness in these situations is much safer.'

'Proper' may very likely mean with shoulder belts anchored at the appropriate angle, but my general interpretation is harness >3 point.

I'll also readily acknowledge that modern vehicles with properly worn 3 point belts and a full compliment of airbags do an amazing job of protecting their occupants....it astounds me at work in the fire department at least a couple times a month.

Last edited by SKI-R; 02-29-2020 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0