02-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerlucas View Post
I've thought about doing the sway bars, but after reading all the posts on E90 about them I don't know if it's something I really want to do. It seems like the car tends to be more neutral because there is less grip in the rear (hence the more oversteer). Maybe that's not actually case, but it's really hard to say with all the differing opinions on the subject. I also really don't want to induce snap oversteer because it's really not safe. I would however really like to do the rear subframe bushings, but because I'm doing these installs in a friends garage it really wasn't practical. Maybe I'll bring the car to shop in the future and get it done because it sounds like a real pain in the ass.
I've driven the M3 and it is extremely balanced, no snap oversteer there at all. But of course, just looking at it from my totally amateurish point of view, the M3 has a wider track, but the swaybar attaches at the same points as the 135i/335i (which is why we can use it) so to my simple mechanical mind the M3 bar would have a stronger effect on the 135/335 than on the M3 (because it has more leverage on the 1/3, being closer to the outside of the wheel than in the M3).

So I can quite understand your concern - not to mention, the 1 has a significantly shorter wheelbase and if I understand how these things wok, that means snap oversteer is more likely than in the 335 or M3.

I was also thinking about the 14mm E92 Performance Catalog bar (which is the M sport bar in Europe). I know that one suspension engineer didn't seem to think it would do much compared to the 11mm (?) stock bar, at least it shouldn't create a tendency towards snap oversteer either.

I used to have a matched set of adjustable UUC sways on my E46 330i and they worked very well with the M Sport suspension on that car. And with the adjustability you could tweak things based on front camber, future lowering or just driving preference. Maybe I'll talk to the UUC guys to see how they decided on the bar sizing for the 135i...
Appreciate 0