02-08-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I've driven the M3 and it is extremely balanced, no snap oversteer there at all. But of course, just looking at it from my totally amateurish point of view, the M3 has a wider track, but the swaybar attaches at the same points as the 135i/335i (which is why we can use it) so to my simple mechanical mind the M3 bar would have a stronger effect on the 135/335 than on the M3 (because it has more leverage on the 1/3, being closer to the outside of the wheel than in the M3).

So I can quite understand your concern - not to mention, the 1 has a significantly shorter wheelbase and if I understand how these things wok, that means snap oversteer is more likely than in the 335 or M3.

I was also thinking about the 14mm E92 Performance Catalog bar (which is the M sport bar in Europe). I know that one suspension engineer didn't seem to think it would do much compared to the 11mm (?) stock bar, at least it shouldn't create a tendency towards snap oversteer either.

I used to have a matched set of adjustable UUC sways on my E46 330i and they worked very well with the M Sport suspension on that car. And with the adjustability you could tweak things based on front camber, future lowering or just driving preference. Maybe I'll talk to the UUC guys to see how they decided on the bar sizing for the 135i...

You kind got things wrong but it is not a big deal. The roll bars of M3 will have almost identical effect on your 1 series. There is a difference between the cars is spring rates and biasing but it is fairly small. This all comes down to load transfer on.

You’re likely to see snap over steer condition on an unbalanced car as this is usually a sign of rapid large load transfer which doesn’t happen on a balanced car.

On the e90post/additcs forums there are too many moderators / members that tend to give opinions that are technically and a partially incorrect to the point of being ridiculous. I would suggest anyone who wants to get advice on setup for other go to another forum that is more technically inclined. You will only find bad advice here in general.

Orb
Appreciate 0