View Single Post
      05-03-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

My e88 is n52 and I haven't tried anything that heavy yet but I agree, it is easily possible to tow with a 1 series. I think BMW may delete the information on towing that they apparently provide in Europe trying to push people to larger vehicles. They don't offer tow packages for X1s or X2s either but you can get an aftermarket class 3 for them.

I towed with a small SUV which was only rated 185hp and 185 ft lbs before it got old and I got rid of it. So I knew the e88 would have the power. But it is lighter and I would not want to tow a 8x12 U-haul trailer like I did with my Zuk. But maybe it could do that too, is that the size you illustrate? That one has a surge brake so it would help from that standpoint. But you also need enough mass to control the trailer. When the trailer gets too close to the towing vehicle mass, it can cause issues. But bimmers are heavy for their size.

I would especially not worry about power with the turbo motors, they like resistance, they spin up and deliver. With a 2000 lb load I would be especially sure to not be tongue light - if the trailer gets to wagging the vehicle will have more trouble controlling it. If you load it right, it should work but I would not get agressive with it. The drive train is not overly beefy.

I also now have a warning light for an exterior bulb. I cannot find a bulb out so I am concerned it might be the trailer wiring. It did not happen right away. But my bimmer is almost 10 years old now so I have learned to not be overly sensitive to it's warnings.