United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tock172 View Post

Nevertheless, BMW stole the show in LA this year. They debuted something like 9 vehicles at their press event and started with a completely blank stage. The i8 Roadster, M3 CS, G90 M5, i8, X7 and Vision concepts were all there.
The debuts are exciting but BMW have become lazy with the quality of presentation and have completely cut out the owners at the LA Auto Show.
They've been using the same booth setup for at least the last 3 years that I can remember. It's not a bad setup, but its the cost cutting/negligence of owners that's a problem.
Don't have an imposing big upstairs lounge area if it's going to be sealed off to the public and no longer relevant to the show.

Alas, years ago, the upstairs level was an "Owner's Lounge" complete with refreshments and small snacks (i.e., cookies, chips).
The owner presents his key to the BMW employee at the stairs and walks up the staircase.
The upstairs area was L-shaped; there was interior seating by the "bar"/refreshments counter with a full view of the show downstairs as well as an open air, balcony-type seating outside perpendicular to that.
Next to the tables outside at the very edge, BMW would bring one race-car each year for display. Owners could enjoy their refreshments while also admiring the race car and enjoying the view of the show.

The year was 2015. BMW brought the #25 Z4 GTLM.
It's not much, maybe a cookie and a Coke and a photo op with a BMW factory race-car, but for BMW fans, it's a small glimpse into the Welt experience, a small token of appreciation for fans. You get the sense that someone up in corporate at a meeting thought it was a cool thing to do for BMW enthusiasts.
And that person would be right. It was cool, people took it all in: taking photos, admiring the details ("Wow, look at the battle scars on bumper!")
It was a nice experience as a BMW fan, owner, and enthusiast.

2016. BMW brought BMW Classic's Alpina 2002ti.
Now, this is where they decided to cut some costs.
No snacks, no refreshments but hey, at least I get "exclusive" access to a BMW factory race-car and a nice view. I'll take that.

2017. BMW brought Bill Auberlen's #25 M6 GTLM
How exciting is that. The car that saw Bill's 400th start and the last M6 GTLM to race, and I get to view it up close in person, or so I thought.
Apparently, I learned that the upstairs "area" was no longer opened to the public, including BMW owners. I'm not sure if press was allowed up there, but the "owner's lounge" is now defunct.
This is the best view that one can get now.

Why have a huge lounge area if it's going to be sealed off to owners?
Why bring your pride and joy from BMW Motorsport or BMW Classic only to have visitors glance at the side-profile from 20 feet away?

When even the Honda booth has an owner's area and other manufacturers are proudly showcasing their race-cars where it can actually be seen, one starts to wonder about BMW's priorities.

E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread
Appreciate 0