View Single Post
      07-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #63
BoostedTerp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
M1 vs. Mustang GT is a US discussion, and not a EU discussion. That is why I cannot say anything clever. But now when I think over, this discussion is valid, as M sells more cars in US than in EU. Maybe now many will prefere Mustang GT over M1, but when the EU car brands will invade US with diesels and small hatches, the american muscle cars will not have many buyers, eventhough being cheaper. Cars are not only about performance, specially now with all speed limits and so, and that is the only thing american cars may have (Mustang, Viper, Camaro, Corvette). When it is about efficiency, comfort, security, looks?, and badge, EU cars win. Just look in what cars american stars/celebrities/famous people drive, mostly EU cars: Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Lmaborghini, Ferrari, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, Rolls Royce, Range Rover.Next to them is Cadillac and Corvette. Just like manual transmission and naturally aspirated engines will disapear, so will Mustang and Camaro disapear, if they do not build after EU standards.
There will always be a market for V8 muscle in this country. People buying those cars aren't interested in status, badge, anything else, but tire smoking RWD V8's at a bargain price. They certainly won't be phased out by diesels and small hatches. The newer muscle cars can even get respectable fuel economy on the highway, especially if you keep your foot out of them. I don't think Euros will ever understand our obsession with those cars, and that's ok.